If your headed to the pool this summer, make water safety your priority! The CDC reports that about 10 people die daily from unintentional drowning, and that drowning ranks 5th among the leading causes of unintentional injury death in the United States. You can help prevent this by taking a few simple steps to create a safer environment while cooling off this summer.
- Swim in waters supervised by a lifeguard.
- Ensure everyone in your family knows how to swim. Check out local learn-to-swim programs for new swimmers.
- Teach children to ask permission before entering the water and make sure an adult is nearby at all times.
- Inexperienced or new swimmers should wear life jackets.
- Always wear life jackers on boats.
- Have a phone nearby in the event of an emergency so you are able to call 911.
- Sign up with your local Red Cross to learn CPR and first aid.